Saturday, February 25, 2012

Topiary Tutorial

 
I have been wanting a double topiary for my new living room, but couldn't find one I loved within the price I wanted to pay.  So, I set off to purchase the stuff to create my own.

I started out with the Styrofoam topiary from Hobby Lobby and painted the branch part a dark brown.  Immediately after painting it, I wiped some off to give it a variation affect:


Next I got out my glue gun and clued this backed moss onto it:





And I glued, and I glued, and I glued...


I found this artificial willow leafed branch that I liked and wanted to incorporate it: 

 
I grabbed my needle nose pliers and started cutting and sticking in the pieces into the styrofoam:


And ended up with this:


I liked how it was a little different than others I had seen; however, quickly questioned my opinion after my husband said, "It looks like a mangled snowman from the spring."  (I think his opinion might be a little more positive if he had seen the price of the drool worthy ones I was admiring at Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs) :)  Still, he kind of burst my bubble!

For only $20 I think it might be staying for a while...


What do you guys think, mangled melting snowman or cute addition?

No comments: